Week 7 - Evaluation:
Through out this Personal Project module I feel I have used my skills to the best to my ability considering the time I had. The idea of using video as a form of art is something that is relatable to current artists which I feel has helped shaped this piece of work for this project. My aim for this piece 'The First Walk After She Died', was supposed to try and piece together the loose scraps of memories of my grandmother, trying in some ways to piece bits of her life together, which will unfortunately never be complete due to her suffering from alzheimers, which lost dear memories that pieced together important parts of her life. During the said walk I participated in, these memories came alive, bringing forth thoughts about family, things that had been said, and her relationship with my grandfather.
Trying to track someone's life is not an original idea in some ways: Laure Prouvost, Sophie Calle, Tacita Dean and many other artists have tried to capture this through various formats. But one thing my work has in common with all of these artists' attempts is the attempt of tracking a person's life, and realising in the end result of the work that it doesn't have to be complete, that is what makes someone's life unique. Not being able to know every detail of someone's life doesn't make it unworthy, it makes us question what they were really like, and focus on what we know more, allowing a clearer memory to form of what we know, that feels more truer to the second. Leaving some mystery in between these allows their life to be remembered as a life, something we can't trace every second of.
The result of this piece I feel is a good overall. Over time I'm sure I will improve more on this as a skill, allowing myself to expand this creativity of creating digital bricolages, experiment with sound, and piece together something, that although does not make sense at first, is exactly what happens when we remember a person: we reminiscence.
Nothing is in order, it is simply in the order our brain decides to remember them. In some ways this piece could be interpreted as a bricolage inspired by my memory of my grandmother during this walk.
No comments:
Post a Comment