Thursday, 14 May 2015

Week 5 - Making of installation:

This week I have been focusing on making plinths for my installation for my final major project. In order to get the idea for my installation part of my video installation, I comprised two sketches of two different ideas I could possibly do that would work with my video:


























I decided to go with the first installation idea as I feel it has a more interactive feel and I feel that the idea of projecting through fabric would be a good way of breaking the image into segments, like a jigsaw puzzle, which I feel works with the feel of the video.



I decided to focus on the main pieces of this idea which was the washing line, and the fabric clothes. I first comprised a sketch to help me build my 'washing pole':



After that I then built the 'washing pole' and painted it white to make sure it was plain enough to not distract viewers from looking at the projection of the video of the wall.



After this I then moved the prop upstairs and connected a washing line to the wall, pegging on the fabric clothes I had cut out:



 Overall I feel this set up for an installation is simply yet practical. When I experiment projecting my video through I am sure the density of the fabric will allow the projection to work well with the installation and break the video into fragments like I am intending for.

Obviously if there was more time in order to make my final major project I feel I would be able to improve the installation by maybe sewing into the fabric, as if the memories have been 'washed' away, making reference to my grandmothers alzheimers. And I could of created more of a 'scene' by following the sketch I had made more thoroughly. But I do feel this result for my installation part of my video installation is a good piece that will help shape my video.

No comments:

Post a Comment