Thursday, 14 May 2015

Week 6 - Final video/ test run:

For my final video I edited it more in terms of time lapse. I decided to change the video length to 3 minutes and 21 seconds, which is the length of a song that was playing in some of the found footage I found of my grandmother holding me as a baby. I then used this song as a reference on keeping time with the video and audio. I also decided to use a split screen in order to get more footage into this time length but also used this as a way to track the first walk after she died more, giving the sense that the other video images are scenes from reminiscencing about her life, and about her in general. Which helped make the walking sequence more powerful as a metaphor in some ways. The audio is not neccessarily a narration, but more a bricolage of sounds that remind me of her, i.e. music she listened, television shows she watched etc, as well as the sound of walking to coincide with the walking sequence, and add a pace to the video as well. 

Looking at the final video I feel very proud of the result I have accomplished, I feel the video in itself makes a good bricolage, especially with the audio. I feel the video isn't too long to feel boring, and in some ways makes sense in the way it has been laid out because of the fact that due to er alzheimers we will never be able to fully piece her back together, but with the remnants we have we have a memory of her that sees her in a light we never saw her in before, trying to piece the jigsaw back together in some ways. This walk was powerful in it's own right and to be able to simulate the thought process that was going on during this walk makes it more surreal, but allows the viewer to join in on this, allow their own interpretation onto what she may have been like just from piecing these few parts together.

Below is the final video for my final project:










During the test run of my video installation I had to think about issues such as wiring of the electrical components, i.e. the projector, laptop etc., checking any sound and setting the video to loop on Quicktime player, as well as making sure the projection was lined up with the installation I had set up. After playing the video through the projector it made the installation come to life. It had achieved what I had wanted it to do which was break up the footage with the fabric, making more of a statement on the idea of piecing something this important together, allowing the breakage in the 'lost memories' to be more clear and make more of a stand.


























Overall I am proud of my overall result for this personal project module. I feel over the next two years I could improve more on these skills as well as with installation. I feel this piece of work has my 'stamp' on it, and feel a great sense of ownership over this piece of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment